The novel was originally published on July 1st, 2004 by The Bodley Head in hardback, but since has been published in paperback (published by Red Fox) and reprinted in a new-style cover.
The book was also released in the U.S. as The Last Apprentice: Revenge of the Witch due to 'spook' may be viewed as a racist term to some of the American population. The Spook's Apprentice was adapted into a film with the name Seventh Son.
- First Edition: The original edition had a worn out leathery type look and was hardback. Later after new editions had been made, the official spooks site considered it a collectors edition.
- Paperback: This one had a normal paperback-like cover with new illustrations and some testar below the title saying "Is he brave enough?"
- Seventh Son Paperback: The same as the original paperback except the illustration is coloured differently, an extra spook is added in the background, the words "The series that Inspired the movie: Seventh Son" is placed at the bottom with Delaney's name at the top and the words "Born to fight the dark" are put at the left side of the cover.
- The US Edition: Due to the fact that "spook" could be considered a racial slur in America, an edition where rather than The Spook's Apprentice, it says The Last Apprentice: Revenge of the Witch, was published.
Thomas Jason Ward (Tom Ward) is the seventh son of a seventh son and has been apprenticed to the local Spook, John Gregory. The job is hard, the Spook is distant and many apprentices have failed before Thomas. Somehow Thomas must learn how to exorcise ghosts, contain witches and bind boggarts. One day, he meets a young girl called Alice who tricks him into freeing Mother Malkin, the most evil witch in the County, then the horror begins.
After Mother Malkin is released, Tom manages to kill her but unfortunately she is strong enough to return from the dead. After her death, Tom is captured, however Alice frees him and they develop some amount of friendship. Tom returns to the farm for a while, where after a few days, Mother Malkin possesses Snout, the pig butcher. Tom uses salt and iron to end the possession. Mother Malkin tries to escape but takes a wrong turn and is eaten by the pigs which is one of the only ways to stop a witch from returning from the dead. In the end Tom takes Alice to her aunt and resumes his apprenticeship with the Spook.
- A Seventh Son
- On the Road
- Number 13 Watery Lane
- The Letter
- Boggarts and Witches
- A Girl with Pointy Shoes
- Someone Has To Do It
- Old Mother Malkin
- On the River Bank
- Poor Billy
- The Pit
- The Desperate and the Dizzy
- Hairy Pigs
- The Spook's Advice
- Thomas Jason Ward
- John Gregory
- Alice Deane
- Bony Lizzie
- Mother Malkin
- Jack Ward
- Ellie Ward
- Mary Ward
|Character||Killed By||Cause Of Death||Circumstances|
|Tusk||John Gregory||Hit on head with the Spook's rowan wood staff.||In defense of Tom during chase|
|Mother Malkin||Tom/Alice/Pigs||Chased away with fire and eaten alive, including heart, by pigs.||Mother Malkin tracked Tom to his house|